Data Deposit User Guide [DRAFT]¶
About Data Deposit¶
Agencies and organizations that manage data archives may receive data and metadata from multiple sources. It is important to organize these data deposits to:
- Ensure that all necessary data and metadata are provided
- Minimize the costs of receiving and documenting the datasets for publication
- Maintain information on what is deposited, by whom, and when
- Provide the person or agency who deposits the data with the opportunity to inform the data archive about access restrictions
- Provide the depositor with a “receipt” indicating what has been deposited
The Data Deposit tool is DDI-compliant, open-source software which can be used as part of the NADA package or as a stand-alone tool. It will be useful to agencies that want to implement a simple, user-friendly, yet powerful and secure on-line system for acquiring datasets.
Data Deposit Frontend¶
This is the part of the application that is used by the depositors to deposit metadata and/or data.
A data deposit project is composed of:
- Project information
- Detailed project description based on the DDI fields. The form includes over 50+ fields. However, there are only 3 required fields that the user must fill, the rest are optional. The form allows the user to change the form settings to display all, recommended or mandatory fields.
- File uploads - for uploading data files, questionnaires, reports and any other documentation
- Data classification
Once a project is submitted, it is locked for any further changes. The system emails receipt of the data deposit to the depositor and the site administrators recieve notification of a new deposit.
The application also allows users to:
- Specify collaborators who can access, edit the deposit project and receive updates about it
- Copy information from existing projects to new projects
- Generate ddi, rdf, print preview and email email project content for review
- Monitor the deposit from submission to publication
Data Deposit Site Admin (backend)¶
Data Deposit includes a backend for managing projects submitted by users. To access the backend, go to Site adminstration > Data Deposit or navigate to the URL admin/datadeposit.
The data deposit admin provides the following features:
- Assign a project to another admin for processing
- Process/review submitted projects
- Export the project to DDI/XML
- Contact depositor for questions or additional information